Skip to main content

"Listen to your heart...it knows everything" (Paulo Coelho)

I am finally beginning to identify with the wise old sage inside of me. She smiles warmly looking back at younger versions of myself knowing that all will be ok. I am coming to realize that I am one of the must stubborn, blind, optimistic dreamers known to man. Contradictory, but true. It makes me laugh.
I’ve always been a philosopher of sorts. Those closest to me throughout my whole life have agreed that while I am lovable, I am weird. I’m not offended... it’s a commentary on my ability to avoid drama and not sweat the small stuff from very early on. I’ve always known deep down that there is something larger than us at work and that our lives are mere blips on the radar of eternity. I knew before I even read Paulo Coelho’s The Alchemist that our only job on this earth is to follow the truth in our heart and do what we were put here to do. I guess you could say I’m an old soul. The irony is, with all of this ancient wisdom, it takes me forever to see what is right in front of me. For example, one of my callings is to be a teacher. But it took me 18 years to figure that out!
When I told my mom, eight years ago, that I was thinking of switching careers and heading into the classroom, she said, “Well, Hallelujah! It‘s about time!” Excuse me? Had we talked about this? Did she know something I didn’t? She pressed, “Don’t you remember as a little girl you would grade the pages of your coloring books?” I had a vague recollection of putting stars and smiley faces on the pictures I colored and writing comments like, “Careful to stay in the lines next time.” I remembered sitting my dolls all around my bedroom and standing in the front of them at a chalkboard easel teaching cursive. Yet strangely, as I got older and began planning for my future, teaching wasn’t even on my radar. I didn’t know what I wanted to do, but it wasn’t in a classroom. It was in a city with skyscrapers. I envisioned wearing a suit and carrying a briefcase. So, after graduating from college I moved to Rochester, NY and got a job downtown. It turns out I loved getting dressed for work. I hated my job. 
One day I received a promotional mailing from a local university that said, “Find your SELF in Society.” To make a long story short (a lot happens in 18 years), I took the class, which led to a master’s degree in counseling, which led a job as a guidance counselor in an elementary school. I was getting closer to my calling, but couldn’t see that if it was painted on a billboard in my front yard. So I counseled for 12 years and was still not really happy. Out of boredomI started taking classes on my own time in subjects I love: history, philosophy, literature. One day my boss said, “You need to be teaching high school. I’m going to be sorry I said this, because I don’t want to lose you. But I hear the passion in your voice when you talk about your classes... you need to teach high school!”  Fast forward, I got certified to teach shortly after that conversation and “the rest is history” (sorry, I couldn’t resist!). 
So why did it take me 20 years and someone else’s insight to finally recognize what has been true in my heart from the very beginning? God only knows. But I am hopeful that now that I can see this so clearly, it will it help me recognize and nourish more of my truths more readily. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Did We Get Here?

  People are asking that a lot lately, and unfortunately, the answer just seems to be, “It’s their fault.” The blame game  gives politicians plenty to exploit as they hope to rile us all up to vote this way or that. I see no sense in Republicans or Democrats claiming to know how to effectively govern in tumultuous times. This is a new historical moment. No one has the answers. None of us knows how to deal with global pandemics, artificial intelligence, and disinformation campaigns on the levels we are seeing today. No one. Because we have not been here before. We have, however, throughout the history of civilization, experienced tumultuous times. And we have not, historically, handled them well. It has been our human tendency to become ethnocentric to the detriment of entire peoples and continents. This we have seen again and again, and the rhetoric of politicians and political leaders around the world today is reminiscent of past turbulent times. From the invention of the wheel to the

Ages and Stages

Ages and Stages By Jonna Shutowick. M.S. Ed.   School-aged years are far more challenging for some than we give them credit for. Sure, we all know the middle school years are awkward. What parent hasn’t had to tell their child at some point that “none of this will matter soon, you’ll see”? The early bloomers learn this lesson in late elementary school, most learn it by the 9th grade, but there are some still within the “normal range” who do not understand the truth of this until they are nearly 20. That is a huge 10 years! And, of course, this is the reason for social groupings and cliques and anti-bullying campaigns, and the like. The years between ages 10 and 20 see major shifts in emotional growth and, to compound matters, major physical shifts as well. Not everyone matures at the same rate. Nor do our physical, mental, emotional (and, by proxy, moral) abilities mature necessarily in concert with each other. In fact, a challenge in one area often impedes on the others, cre