Skip to main content

Plant What You Want To Grow

Every April, people around the world pause to recognize Earth Day, a day set aside to appreciate the planet and renew our commitment to caring for it. Communities organize beach cleanups, plant trees, and talk about protecting the natural world for future generations. 

At its heart, Earth Day carries a simple but powerful idea: what we nurture today will shape the world tomorrow. 

Today, environmentalism is often used as a shorthand for tribal identity. What began as a universal concern for conservation has been tilled into a political battlefield, and the seeds of division have been harvested in gridlock and resentment.


 
But the seeds of the modern environmental movement weren’t sown in a vacuum of ideology. In 1969, a massive oil spill off the coast of California galvanized the nation. That disaster became the catalyst for the first Earth Day in 1970, and this led directly to the creation of the EPA and the passage of the Clean Air Act and the Clean Water Act under the Nixon administration.

The message was clear and unified: the air we breathe and the water we drink are not partisan issues. 

On April 22, let Earth Day remind us that the environment flourishes when people choose to protect it. When we plant a community garden, clean a local beach, or invest in regional energy independence, the political labels tend to fall away. We find common ground. These acts may seem small or insignificant, but if small groups of citizens around the globe invest in their own communities, it can grow into something strong and sustaining for all of us. 

The same is true of the choices we make in our personal lives. 

Consider relationships. When we plant kindness, patience, and attention in our interactions with others, we cultivate trust and connection. On the other hand, when we neglect them or allow resentment to take root, those seeds can spread just as quickly as weeds in an untended field.

Relationships, like gardens, thrive when they are tended regularly.

Let’s make it even more personal. The thoughts we choose to dwell on shape the environment of our minds. When we plant gratitude, curiosity, and hope, we create fertile ground for a more positive outlook. When we repeatedly sow worry or negativity, those seeds can crowd out the good things trying to flourish. 

Earth Day teaches a lesson that extends far beyond environmental awareness. It reminds us that what we plant matters. The trees we plant, the habits we cultivate, the kindness we show, and the choices we make all shape the world around us. Like gardeners of both the earth and our own lives, we are constantly sowing seeds. April simply asks us to pause and consider them.

Plant what you want to grow.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mother May I?

Okay, so I should probably start by explaining that my kids never actually said, “Mother, may I...” although I tried. And I’m not talking about the game we played in the 70s where we stood in a line and one person got to choose who would be “Mother” next by allowing that person 5 steps forward to the everyone else’s 3 paces backward. The title of my column this month is just my cheesy way of using ‘Mother’ and ‘May’ together since Mother’s Day is this month (hint, hint). But my story is a mother’s tale. A few weeks ago, my son drove home from college miserable with a 102 fever. I offered to drive up to see him, but he preferred coming home for some “fresh air, peace and quiet.” I’d like to say I felt bad for him, but if I did that paled in comparison to the major mom-high I was on. In a few days he’d be better and I’d go back to being the nag who still from afar manages to ask just enough questions to garner an eye roll. I’m pretty sure that’s why we don’t Skype. In the meantime, ...

START SPREADING THE GNEWS

Definition: gnews [nyooz] noun: good news; information presented about positive things happening in the world. The thing about news is it no longer means what it was meant to. The term “newspaper” derives its meaning from the idea that each day new events around us were reported to us. There is nothing really new about news today. Sure, the headlines change, but there is nothing fresh about the stories on any given day. Even the most prudent reporters hardly offer us an objective picture of what is truly going on in our world. We learn only about what goes wrong. It would be great if the media felt they had an obligation to report what happens in our world, not just what goes wrong, but news is big business, and the 24/7 news cycle has only exacerbated the “if it bleeds it leads” mentality. Ironic, really, because it would seem that more time to fill would bring more variety to the news space. This has not, however, been the outcome. Thirty years ago, a research group ...

Dingoes and Gringos - Pura Vida!

You can tell a lot about a place by the way they treat their animals. I spent the first half of the summer in Costa Rica and met the most kind-hearted, life-embracing people I’ve ever encountered...anywhere. Monkeys and humans share the mangoes from the trees, cats relax on bookshelves in coffee shops and “dingoes” (as stray dogs were affectionately called) wander the streets visiting their favorite spots, beckoned by nickname from all of the locals. The mutual respect between the people and the animals in 'our' little town made my heart smile. And it seemed to carry over to the wildlife as well. A bird landed on my coffee cup one morning, chirped me a little song and flew off (true story!). Coatis poked their noses right into our beach bags, and iguanas visited us on our porch, eyes staring and heads cocked, seeming to ask, “Are you leaving soon? I want to sun myself on that chair.” But the attitude that I think best exemplifies the genuine kindness of the people we met, ...