Skip to main content

La la la la Lemon

I saw a question recently on a personality inventory that asks a child to draw a picture of him or herself in the rain. The interpretation of the drawing (roughly, and without the proper licensure) goes something like this: If the child draws the picture, but also adds an umbrella, or an overhang of a porch or even a tree... if there is some sort of shelter from the rain represented, the child is thought to have good coping skills. If, however, they just do as they are instructed and draw themselves in the rain, presumably getting wet, then it may be interpreted that they have weak coping skills. I thought this was a very insightful exercise. I wondered what I would have drawn. I tend to be quite literal at times and I think if I were asked to draw a picture of myself in the rain I would leave out any form of shelter. Now, having lived with myself these past 40 years or so, I consider myself to be pretty good at dealing with stress. I joke with my colleagues sometimes about being Gumby. I'd like to think that my ability to be flexible while maintaining a positive attitude means that I am good at coping with adversity. But when I really look at it... really boil it down... allow for the possiblity that as an umbrella-less person in the rain, despite my smiling face, I may not be coping, but rather just dealing, I was surprised.

I've always fancied myself a glass-half-full-of-lemonade-Imade-myself-out-of-the-lemonslife-handed-me kind of girl. Have I been fooling myself? Is it possible that rather than actually making lemonade out of lemons I've simply chosen instead to live happily in Lemon Land when necessary? Have I been confusing my (in)ability to cope with my preference for copping out? Hmmm, this was one for the meditation pillow. And it was not going to be easy-listening. After all, I like to think of myself as creative. I teach, I write, I.... parent (and we know that requires creative problem solving on the best of days!) What would I discover if I allowed for the possibility that I am less than stellar at coping? Initially I decided to change the meaning of the word. Coping and creativity did not have to mean the same thing. There, that feels better. I can live with that. Alas, after several meditation sessions, a few poems, many journal entries and a discussion with a therapist friend of mine, I came to the realization that my penchant for living with the lemons, and learning to love them, rather than fix them into something sweeter, is a creative gift in and of itself. While I may not be the most creative person when it comes to problem solving, I am extremely tolerant, compassionate and loving. Perhaps if I were an expert problem solver, I would not experience the people I encounter for who they are. Rather, I might spend my time trying to fix what I didn't like about them to make them more palatable to me. I think this serves me well in my profession. A positive attitude is something that must be created and nurtured. It solves the problem of being unhappy. So while I may not think to grab an umbrella in the rain, I sure do appreciate the raindrops as they cool me down in this summer heat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mother May I?

Okay, so I should probably start by explaining that my kids never actually said, “Mother, may I...” although I tried. And I’m not talking about the game we played in the 70s where we stood in a line and one person got to choose who would be “Mother” next by allowing that person 5 steps forward to the everyone else’s 3 paces backward. The title of my column this month is just my cheesy way of using ‘Mother’ and ‘May’ together since Mother’s Day is this month (hint, hint). But my story is a mother’s tale. A few weeks ago, my son drove home from college miserable with a 102 fever. I offered to drive up to see him, but he preferred coming home for some “fresh air, peace and quiet.” I’d like to say I felt bad for him, but if I did that paled in comparison to the major mom-high I was on. In a few days he’d be better and I’d go back to being the nag who still from afar manages to ask just enough questions to garner an eye roll. I’m pretty sure that’s why we don’t Skype. In the meantime, ...

START SPREADING THE GNEWS

Definition: gnews [nyooz] noun: good news; information presented about positive things happening in the world. The thing about news is it no longer means what it was meant to. The term “newspaper” derives its meaning from the idea that each day new events around us were reported to us. There is nothing really new about news today. Sure, the headlines change, but there is nothing fresh about the stories on any given day. Even the most prudent reporters hardly offer us an objective picture of what is truly going on in our world. We learn only about what goes wrong. It would be great if the media felt they had an obligation to report what happens in our world, not just what goes wrong, but news is big business, and the 24/7 news cycle has only exacerbated the “if it bleeds it leads” mentality. Ironic, really, because it would seem that more time to fill would bring more variety to the news space. This has not, however, been the outcome. Thirty years ago, a research group ...

Dingoes and Gringos - Pura Vida!

You can tell a lot about a place by the way they treat their animals. I spent the first half of the summer in Costa Rica and met the most kind-hearted, life-embracing people I’ve ever encountered...anywhere. Monkeys and humans share the mangoes from the trees, cats relax on bookshelves in coffee shops and “dingoes” (as stray dogs were affectionately called) wander the streets visiting their favorite spots, beckoned by nickname from all of the locals. The mutual respect between the people and the animals in 'our' little town made my heart smile. And it seemed to carry over to the wildlife as well. A bird landed on my coffee cup one morning, chirped me a little song and flew off (true story!). Coatis poked their noses right into our beach bags, and iguanas visited us on our porch, eyes staring and heads cocked, seeming to ask, “Are you leaving soon? I want to sun myself on that chair.” But the attitude that I think best exemplifies the genuine kindness of the people we met, ...