Skip to main content

Little Red Corvette


When my husband came home with a Corvette on his birthday last December I gently teased him about his midlife crisis. I mean, it was certified pre-owned, not brand new, so I wasn’t that concerned.Then, to his credit, he reminded me that I had just enrolled in a Master’s program that, by the way, has nothing to do with my current career. It is just for ME! Events like these have been occurring with more and more frequency over the past few years and have me wondering about the fabled midlife crisis that we’re so familiar with in our culture. New sports car - ‘check’; new hobby - ‘check’; empty nest - ‘check’; noticeable physical changes -‘check’; Admittedly there have been some fun things, such as acting like college students more than when we were in college; and some not so fun things, like not seeing eye-to-eye on what the “next phase” of life should look like. But, like anything else, it is a stage of life that we will traverse. Ready or not, here it comes. 


I am no stranger to the concept that each day is a gift, and not sweating the small stuff is a lifestyle choice I mastered a long time ago. Yet with life slowing down, granting me that coveted time to finally do the things I never had time to do in my thirties and forties, I am confounded by some of the things I allow myself to stress about. And sometimes, for reasons I still can’t quite figure, I occasionally indulge in a pity party when I feel frustrated by the lack of progress that seems to be hindering my path to greatness. With fewer distractions than I can ever remember, the reality is setting in that the only thing getting in the way of me and my dreams is.... ME! 

Interestingly, my first instinct is to fill up my free time with more distractions. I’m taking classes, golf lessons, I joined a gym; I get regular massages and facials - all in the name of self-care, but the truth is, unless I get out of my own way, I will never write this amazing novel that’s been kicking around in my head since... FOREVER! And with that thought comes panic, which of course is fear. Fear of failure. What if my dreams were little lies I told myself to make myself feel valiant for sacrificing so much until it was my turn? And, as cliche as it sounds, what if, now that I have the time, and therefore no more excuses, I try to achieve my dreams and...fail?!  I’d have no one to blame but myself. Midlife offers us the opportunity to stop, reevaluate, and, due to the increasingly undeniable acknowledgement of our mortality, has us walking a fine line between a breakdown and a breakthrough. One thing is certain, a midlife crisis is really a midlife transformation. It is a turning point; a time for change and opportunity. And as long as I can remain open, empathetic to my husband’s own path, and maintain a healthy balance between focus and obsession, we will be as ready, if not more ready, for our Second Act.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mother May I?

Okay, so I should probably start by explaining that my kids never actually said, “Mother, may I...” although I tried. And I’m not talking about the game we played in the 70s where we stood in a line and one person got to choose who would be “Mother” next by allowing that person 5 steps forward to the everyone else’s 3 paces backward. The title of my column this month is just my cheesy way of using ‘Mother’ and ‘May’ together since Mother’s Day is this month (hint, hint). But my story is a mother’s tale. A few weeks ago, my son drove home from college miserable with a 102 fever. I offered to drive up to see him, but he preferred coming home for some “fresh air, peace and quiet.” I’d like to say I felt bad for him, but if I did that paled in comparison to the major mom-high I was on. In a few days he’d be better and I’d go back to being the nag who still from afar manages to ask just enough questions to garner an eye roll. I’m pretty sure that’s why we don’t Skype. In the meantime, ...

START SPREADING THE GNEWS

Definition: gnews [nyooz] noun: good news; information presented about positive things happening in the world. The thing about news is it no longer means what it was meant to. The term “newspaper” derives its meaning from the idea that each day new events around us were reported to us. There is nothing really new about news today. Sure, the headlines change, but there is nothing fresh about the stories on any given day. Even the most prudent reporters hardly offer us an objective picture of what is truly going on in our world. We learn only about what goes wrong. It would be great if the media felt they had an obligation to report what happens in our world, not just what goes wrong, but news is big business, and the 24/7 news cycle has only exacerbated the “if it bleeds it leads” mentality. Ironic, really, because it would seem that more time to fill would bring more variety to the news space. This has not, however, been the outcome. Thirty years ago, a research group ...

Dingoes and Gringos - Pura Vida!

You can tell a lot about a place by the way they treat their animals. I spent the first half of the summer in Costa Rica and met the most kind-hearted, life-embracing people I’ve ever encountered...anywhere. Monkeys and humans share the mangoes from the trees, cats relax on bookshelves in coffee shops and “dingoes” (as stray dogs were affectionately called) wander the streets visiting their favorite spots, beckoned by nickname from all of the locals. The mutual respect between the people and the animals in 'our' little town made my heart smile. And it seemed to carry over to the wildlife as well. A bird landed on my coffee cup one morning, chirped me a little song and flew off (true story!). Coatis poked their noses right into our beach bags, and iguanas visited us on our porch, eyes staring and heads cocked, seeming to ask, “Are you leaving soon? I want to sun myself on that chair.” But the attitude that I think best exemplifies the genuine kindness of the people we met, ...