Skip to main content

You don’t choose your dreams, they choose you

I came across this little nugget in one of my early morning, coffee enhanced Facebook crawls. Among all of the First Day of School photos, recipes and off-color, but often hilarious Someecards cartoons (my favorite is, “I’d rather make new friends than help you move”), I saw this on someone’s wall: “You don’t choose your dreams, they choose you!” I liked it. The idea that fate is somehow at the helm is a reminder that we need to listen to our hearts and be open as life presents us with opportunities. It’s not always easy. Especially for young people.

My son, who is entering his senior year in college, came home for a visit this summer. When I asked him about school he was dismissive and a little irritable. After several days of Master-Mom super sleuthing, I finally pulled it out of him: He didn’t think he really liked where his major was taking him and he regretted not following his heart early on. Like so many others his age, he neglected his true self to pursue a major that was supposedly more practical. In his case, he chose Business over Music. But as his senior year was approaching, he was haunted by the fact that he was spending all of his time engaged in activities he found absolutely joyless, and the idea of spending his entire future in Accounting was keeping him up at night. 

Our culture is so wealth-oriented. At no point in his decision making did he consider what would make him happy, only what would Forbes.com told him would reward him with the best salary after college. Naturally we discussed the importance of being financially independent and quality of life... these things cannot be ignored. I asked him if he still plays and writes his music and he does. But he found a college that has a major that is so appealing to him and he was afraid to bring it up because he had spent three years already on “the wrong path.” He said something that was amusing to my nearly 50 year old brain, but no less devastating and grave to his young one: “It’s too late.” Too late!  Too late? I took a deep breath (to avoid screaming or laughing) and merely advised that it is not too late until you are on your deathbed. A grim thought, but true. I tried to help him see that he was lucky to realize this at such a young age.


I’m not sure how far it sunk in, because, even though he said he felt better after talking about it, he decided to stick it out and get the business degree. I encouraged him to do that, but then to look at graduate programs in Music. So we shall see. The bottom line is that if he ignores what is clearly calling him (and I can testify that it has been calling him his whole life), it will continue to haunt him, as these things do all of us, because we don’t choose our dreams, they choose us! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mother May I?

Okay, so I should probably start by explaining that my kids never actually said, “Mother, may I...” although I tried. And I’m not talking about the game we played in the 70s where we stood in a line and one person got to choose who would be “Mother” next by allowing that person 5 steps forward to the everyone else’s 3 paces backward. The title of my column this month is just my cheesy way of using ‘Mother’ and ‘May’ together since Mother’s Day is this month (hint, hint). But my story is a mother’s tale. A few weeks ago, my son drove home from college miserable with a 102 fever. I offered to drive up to see him, but he preferred coming home for some “fresh air, peace and quiet.” I’d like to say I felt bad for him, but if I did that paled in comparison to the major mom-high I was on. In a few days he’d be better and I’d go back to being the nag who still from afar manages to ask just enough questions to garner an eye roll. I’m pretty sure that’s why we don’t Skype. In the meantime, ...

START SPREADING THE GNEWS

Definition: gnews [nyooz] noun: good news; information presented about positive things happening in the world. The thing about news is it no longer means what it was meant to. The term “newspaper” derives its meaning from the idea that each day new events around us were reported to us. There is nothing really new about news today. Sure, the headlines change, but there is nothing fresh about the stories on any given day. Even the most prudent reporters hardly offer us an objective picture of what is truly going on in our world. We learn only about what goes wrong. It would be great if the media felt they had an obligation to report what happens in our world, not just what goes wrong, but news is big business, and the 24/7 news cycle has only exacerbated the “if it bleeds it leads” mentality. Ironic, really, because it would seem that more time to fill would bring more variety to the news space. This has not, however, been the outcome. Thirty years ago, a research group ...

Dingoes and Gringos - Pura Vida!

You can tell a lot about a place by the way they treat their animals. I spent the first half of the summer in Costa Rica and met the most kind-hearted, life-embracing people I’ve ever encountered...anywhere. Monkeys and humans share the mangoes from the trees, cats relax on bookshelves in coffee shops and “dingoes” (as stray dogs were affectionately called) wander the streets visiting their favorite spots, beckoned by nickname from all of the locals. The mutual respect between the people and the animals in 'our' little town made my heart smile. And it seemed to carry over to the wildlife as well. A bird landed on my coffee cup one morning, chirped me a little song and flew off (true story!). Coatis poked their noses right into our beach bags, and iguanas visited us on our porch, eyes staring and heads cocked, seeming to ask, “Are you leaving soon? I want to sun myself on that chair.” But the attitude that I think best exemplifies the genuine kindness of the people we met, ...