Skip to main content

"Listen to your heart...it knows everything" (Paulo Coelho)

I am finally beginning to identify with the wise old sage inside of me. She smiles warmly looking back at younger versions of myself knowing that all will be ok. I am coming to realize that I am one of the must stubborn, blind, optimistic dreamers known to man. Contradictory, but true. It makes me laugh.
I’ve always been a philosopher of sorts. Those closest to me throughout my whole life have agreed that while I am lovable, I am weird. I’m not offended... it’s a commentary on my ability to avoid drama and not sweat the small stuff from very early on. I’ve always known deep down that there is something larger than us at work and that our lives are mere blips on the radar of eternity. I knew before I even read Paulo Coelho’s The Alchemist that our only job on this earth is to follow the truth in our heart and do what we were put here to do. I guess you could say I’m an old soul. The irony is, with all of this ancient wisdom, it takes me forever to see what is right in front of me. For example, one of my callings is to be a teacher. But it took me 18 years to figure that out!
When I told my mom, eight years ago, that I was thinking of switching careers and heading into the classroom, she said, “Well, Hallelujah! It‘s about time!” Excuse me? Had we talked about this? Did she know something I didn’t? She pressed, “Don’t you remember as a little girl you would grade the pages of your coloring books?” I had a vague recollection of putting stars and smiley faces on the pictures I colored and writing comments like, “Careful to stay in the lines next time.” I remembered sitting my dolls all around my bedroom and standing in the front of them at a chalkboard easel teaching cursive. Yet strangely, as I got older and began planning for my future, teaching wasn’t even on my radar. I didn’t know what I wanted to do, but it wasn’t in a classroom. It was in a city with skyscrapers. I envisioned wearing a suit and carrying a briefcase. So, after graduating from college I moved to Rochester, NY and got a job downtown. It turns out I loved getting dressed for work. I hated my job. 
One day I received a promotional mailing from a local university that said, “Find your SELF in Society.” To make a long story short (a lot happens in 18 years), I took the class, which led to a master’s degree in counseling, which led a job as a guidance counselor in an elementary school. I was getting closer to my calling, but couldn’t see that if it was painted on a billboard in my front yard. So I counseled for 12 years and was still not really happy. Out of boredomI started taking classes on my own time in subjects I love: history, philosophy, literature. One day my boss said, “You need to be teaching high school. I’m going to be sorry I said this, because I don’t want to lose you. But I hear the passion in your voice when you talk about your classes... you need to teach high school!”  Fast forward, I got certified to teach shortly after that conversation and “the rest is history” (sorry, I couldn’t resist!). 
So why did it take me 20 years and someone else’s insight to finally recognize what has been true in my heart from the very beginning? God only knows. But I am hopeful that now that I can see this so clearly, it will it help me recognize and nourish more of my truths more readily. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mother May I?

Okay, so I should probably start by explaining that my kids never actually said, “Mother, may I...” although I tried. And I’m not talking about the game we played in the 70s where we stood in a line and one person got to choose who would be “Mother” next by allowing that person 5 steps forward to the everyone else’s 3 paces backward. The title of my column this month is just my cheesy way of using ‘Mother’ and ‘May’ together since Mother’s Day is this month (hint, hint). But my story is a mother’s tale. A few weeks ago, my son drove home from college miserable with a 102 fever. I offered to drive up to see him, but he preferred coming home for some “fresh air, peace and quiet.” I’d like to say I felt bad for him, but if I did that paled in comparison to the major mom-high I was on. In a few days he’d be better and I’d go back to being the nag who still from afar manages to ask just enough questions to garner an eye roll. I’m pretty sure that’s why we don’t Skype. In the meantime, ...

START SPREADING THE GNEWS

Definition: gnews [nyooz] noun: good news; information presented about positive things happening in the world. The thing about news is it no longer means what it was meant to. The term “newspaper” derives its meaning from the idea that each day new events around us were reported to us. There is nothing really new about news today. Sure, the headlines change, but there is nothing fresh about the stories on any given day. Even the most prudent reporters hardly offer us an objective picture of what is truly going on in our world. We learn only about what goes wrong. It would be great if the media felt they had an obligation to report what happens in our world, not just what goes wrong, but news is big business, and the 24/7 news cycle has only exacerbated the “if it bleeds it leads” mentality. Ironic, really, because it would seem that more time to fill would bring more variety to the news space. This has not, however, been the outcome. Thirty years ago, a research group ...

Dingoes and Gringos - Pura Vida!

You can tell a lot about a place by the way they treat their animals. I spent the first half of the summer in Costa Rica and met the most kind-hearted, life-embracing people I’ve ever encountered...anywhere. Monkeys and humans share the mangoes from the trees, cats relax on bookshelves in coffee shops and “dingoes” (as stray dogs were affectionately called) wander the streets visiting their favorite spots, beckoned by nickname from all of the locals. The mutual respect between the people and the animals in 'our' little town made my heart smile. And it seemed to carry over to the wildlife as well. A bird landed on my coffee cup one morning, chirped me a little song and flew off (true story!). Coatis poked their noses right into our beach bags, and iguanas visited us on our porch, eyes staring and heads cocked, seeming to ask, “Are you leaving soon? I want to sun myself on that chair.” But the attitude that I think best exemplifies the genuine kindness of the people we met, ...