Skip to main content

Time Moves Slowly, but Passes Quickly (Alice Walker)

My youngest son turned 21 in January. Such a milestone! I shared an adorable baby picture of him on Facebook wishing a “Happy 21st birthday to this little man.” In addition to all of the usual responses, “Happy birthday!.... where does the time go?...” I got a beautiful message in my inbox from an old college friend. It was a copy his wife singing her own rendition of  “Stop Time” from the musical Big. She sang with such heartfelt passion I got chills. Ironically, as her lovely voice sang, “Birthdays fly - 7,8,9,10” all I could think was I don’t miss that. At all.  With each birthday party, I was just happy to be closer to the next. “Then he’s two, such a little man, so alive and so smart..”  and such a pain.... Was I a bad mom?  I recall the terrible twos, fours, eights, twelves, fifteen through eighteens… each phase getting scarier than the next. I may have wanted time to go backwards, but never stop. At that point I just wanted a fast forward button!
Sometimes I think it would be cool to time travel to select parts of the past and relive them for exactly one hour and then return to my current life. But I do not miss those days. Motherhood was hard work! Rewarding, for sure, but rewarding NOW. I am thrilled that “I did it!” I worry much less about the little things (of course, the mother worrying probably never truly leaves us, right, Mom?). I now have two grown-up, responsible, thoughtful, compassionate, intelligent, funny young men who call me every Sunday and visit a few times a year. I enjoy them so much more than I ever did when they were little and needy and insecure and rambunctious and messy and loud.  Sure, the photos of the milestones bring a huge smile to my face and warm my heart. But there is no pit in my stomach missing it. It’s more like, “yeah, they were so cute and my hair was so dark!”  
There are some photos that give me a pit in my stomach though. Pictures of my mom and dad. And thank God they are still here on this earth with me. But they’re in New York and I’m in Florida and I miss them. I guess this is where I wish I could stop time.  Like my kids, I call my mom every Sunday. And I visit  them a few times a year (cue: Harry Chapin’s “Cat and the Cradle”). My teaching career has allowed me to spend weeks at a time with them every summer since I moved to Florida 22 years ago, and when the kids were little I brought them with me. I am very happy to have created those memories for both my kids and my parents. Yes, if I could stop time right now I’d do it. Right now is perfect. I get it. Thank you for the inspiration, Andy and Michelle. Now, I’m off to book a plane ticket…….

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mother May I?

Okay, so I should probably start by explaining that my kids never actually said, “Mother, may I...” although I tried. And I’m not talking about the game we played in the 70s where we stood in a line and one person got to choose who would be “Mother” next by allowing that person 5 steps forward to the everyone else’s 3 paces backward. The title of my column this month is just my cheesy way of using ‘Mother’ and ‘May’ together since Mother’s Day is this month (hint, hint). But my story is a mother’s tale. A few weeks ago, my son drove home from college miserable with a 102 fever. I offered to drive up to see him, but he preferred coming home for some “fresh air, peace and quiet.” I’d like to say I felt bad for him, but if I did that paled in comparison to the major mom-high I was on. In a few days he’d be better and I’d go back to being the nag who still from afar manages to ask just enough questions to garner an eye roll. I’m pretty sure that’s why we don’t Skype. In the meantime, ...

START SPREADING THE GNEWS

Definition: gnews [nyooz] noun: good news; information presented about positive things happening in the world. The thing about news is it no longer means what it was meant to. The term “newspaper” derives its meaning from the idea that each day new events around us were reported to us. There is nothing really new about news today. Sure, the headlines change, but there is nothing fresh about the stories on any given day. Even the most prudent reporters hardly offer us an objective picture of what is truly going on in our world. We learn only about what goes wrong. It would be great if the media felt they had an obligation to report what happens in our world, not just what goes wrong, but news is big business, and the 24/7 news cycle has only exacerbated the “if it bleeds it leads” mentality. Ironic, really, because it would seem that more time to fill would bring more variety to the news space. This has not, however, been the outcome. Thirty years ago, a research group ...

Dingoes and Gringos - Pura Vida!

You can tell a lot about a place by the way they treat their animals. I spent the first half of the summer in Costa Rica and met the most kind-hearted, life-embracing people I’ve ever encountered...anywhere. Monkeys and humans share the mangoes from the trees, cats relax on bookshelves in coffee shops and “dingoes” (as stray dogs were affectionately called) wander the streets visiting their favorite spots, beckoned by nickname from all of the locals. The mutual respect between the people and the animals in 'our' little town made my heart smile. And it seemed to carry over to the wildlife as well. A bird landed on my coffee cup one morning, chirped me a little song and flew off (true story!). Coatis poked their noses right into our beach bags, and iguanas visited us on our porch, eyes staring and heads cocked, seeming to ask, “Are you leaving soon? I want to sun myself on that chair.” But the attitude that I think best exemplifies the genuine kindness of the people we met, ...