Skip to main content

Thank You, Ugliness

It was challenging to decide what to write about for the November edition of the Happy Herald. Gratitude is always something that comes to mind as our country honors this emotion with a national holiday this month.That is a beautiful thing. But this is also an election year, which gives November another particularly distinct trait. An ugly one. So, I wondered if there was any way to find the beautiful in the ugly.

First, I’m fairly confident I speak for all of us when I say I’ll be very grateful on November 9th that  the election is over. There were moments during the past few months when I honestly thought I was living in an alternate universe. But if I am, we all are so that a moot point. I do believe, however, that many of us are actually living in parallel ones. Unless you actually were in another universe over the past few months, I don’t need to tell you how incredibly awful the cacophony has been. It was so loud it was really difficult to hide from. But what really astounded me was how people can hear the same information and have completely different experiences.  And that is assuming we get the same information, which happens less and less.

Most of us only listen to the information that makes us the most comfortable. We guard ourselves from information we don’t want to hear or see by only following certain websites, reading certain magazines and newspapers and watching programs that reiterate what we already feel comfortable hearing. And why not? It makes us feel valid. It makes us feel safe. Like other people ‘get us’ and we have a community. Even this newspaper creates a nice little bubble for those of us who want to escape the bad news and feel happy. But there are also people who thrive on vitriol and anger, and there are plenty of outlets supplying that demand as well. So, I’ll be grateful when the election is over that I will be able to escape into my happy little corner of the world once again.

Here’s the bright side.


Despite the negativity and ultimate lack of civility in this election, some latent issues were forced into the forefront, mostly in the form of ‘isms’. When the yelling and crying stops, there are a lot of items on the table now that will hopefully get some thoughtful analysis and perhaps we can move forward as a society. If anything, this election reminded us that the ‘American Dream’ means different things to different people. Change is not easy. It’s uncomfortable for those who don’t want anything to change and causes conflict among those who want different kinds of change. We will likely have to endure some more divisiveness before things settle down, but history dictates that when major cultural clashes happen in America, major social progress is eventually made. We may not agree with people, but as long as we all have the right to speak and vote we will continue be a beacon of hope for others in the world who live in places where their voices are not heard at all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mother May I?

Okay, so I should probably start by explaining that my kids never actually said, “Mother, may I...” although I tried. And I’m not talking about the game we played in the 70s where we stood in a line and one person got to choose who would be “Mother” next by allowing that person 5 steps forward to the everyone else’s 3 paces backward. The title of my column this month is just my cheesy way of using ‘Mother’ and ‘May’ together since Mother’s Day is this month (hint, hint). But my story is a mother’s tale. A few weeks ago, my son drove home from college miserable with a 102 fever. I offered to drive up to see him, but he preferred coming home for some “fresh air, peace and quiet.” I’d like to say I felt bad for him, but if I did that paled in comparison to the major mom-high I was on. In a few days he’d be better and I’d go back to being the nag who still from afar manages to ask just enough questions to garner an eye roll. I’m pretty sure that’s why we don’t Skype. In the meantime, ...

START SPREADING THE GNEWS

Definition: gnews [nyooz] noun: good news; information presented about positive things happening in the world. The thing about news is it no longer means what it was meant to. The term “newspaper” derives its meaning from the idea that each day new events around us were reported to us. There is nothing really new about news today. Sure, the headlines change, but there is nothing fresh about the stories on any given day. Even the most prudent reporters hardly offer us an objective picture of what is truly going on in our world. We learn only about what goes wrong. It would be great if the media felt they had an obligation to report what happens in our world, not just what goes wrong, but news is big business, and the 24/7 news cycle has only exacerbated the “if it bleeds it leads” mentality. Ironic, really, because it would seem that more time to fill would bring more variety to the news space. This has not, however, been the outcome. Thirty years ago, a research group ...

Dingoes and Gringos - Pura Vida!

You can tell a lot about a place by the way they treat their animals. I spent the first half of the summer in Costa Rica and met the most kind-hearted, life-embracing people I’ve ever encountered...anywhere. Monkeys and humans share the mangoes from the trees, cats relax on bookshelves in coffee shops and “dingoes” (as stray dogs were affectionately called) wander the streets visiting their favorite spots, beckoned by nickname from all of the locals. The mutual respect between the people and the animals in 'our' little town made my heart smile. And it seemed to carry over to the wildlife as well. A bird landed on my coffee cup one morning, chirped me a little song and flew off (true story!). Coatis poked their noses right into our beach bags, and iguanas visited us on our porch, eyes staring and heads cocked, seeming to ask, “Are you leaving soon? I want to sun myself on that chair.” But the attitude that I think best exemplifies the genuine kindness of the people we met, ...